top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I register as a contractor on D2R Design's website?
    To register as a contractor, simply visit our website's Business Perks page and provide the required information. Once your registration is approved, you'll have access to our exclusive offers and services tailored for contractors.
  • What are the promotional discounts offered by D2R Design Inc.?
    D2R Design Inc. occasionally offers promotional discounts on its products and services. These discounts are subject to change and are at the sole discretion of D2R Design Inc. They may vary in terms of discount rates and eligible products or services.
  • Can I combine multiple discounts, offers, or promotions?
    Generally, discounts cannot be combined with other offers, promotions, or discounts, unless explicitly stated by D2R Design Inc.
  • How can I stay updated on the discount offers and policies?
    We recommend visiting our website regularly and reviewing the "Discount Policies" section in the Terms & Conditions Policy to stay informed about the most up-to-date information. Changes to the discount policy will be posted on our website's Terms & Condition Page and are effective immediately.
  • Are the discounts transferable or redeemable for cash?
    No, discounts are non-transferable and hold no cash value. They are intended for use on eligible products or services from D2R Design Inc.
  • Do I need a permit to build a pavilion in Ontario?
    In Ontario, if your pavilion is under 15 square meters in size, you typically do not need a permit. This exemption generally applies to structures like gazebos, pergolas, and similar outdoor shelters. While permit exemptions often apply to smaller pavilions, it's essential to check with your local municipality for any specific regulations regarding setbacks, zoning requirements, or other location-related restrictions. Source: Ontario's Regulatory Registry
  • What factors affect the cost of building a detached accessory building?
    There are many factors like Building Material, Accessibility, Labour, Style, Complexity of Design, Soil Condition, etc.
  • Are there any ways to save money on building a detached accessory building?
    To save money when constructing a detached accessory building, such as a pool house, or detached garage choose an easy plan and budget-friendly materials. It would help if you also looked into possible deals and discounts on construction materials and services through strategic sourcing. Consider getting competitive bids from several contractors to find the greatest deal on building services if you want to save expenses further. Discover our budget-friendly pool house plan or garage plan featuring a sleek and simple design that optimizes space without compromising functionality or aesthetics.
  • Do I need to obtain permits or pay fees to build a detached accessory building?
    To build a Pool House or Garage, you might need to apply for permission from the local municipality area for further information about the specific regulations that are valid there.
  • What are some common mistakes that can lead to cost overruns during a detached accessory building project?
    Underestimating the project's size or design leads to more labor and material costs (Exposed Timber/Real Stone)and does not include all the essential expenses and fees. Having your contractor review our website before purchasing a pool house or garage design can help you narrow down a product that fits within your budget. Use our compare tool to evaluate three distinct architectural plans and their characteristics side by side to make an educated choice and save money when creating your ideal detached accessory building.
  • After making an online purchase, can I modify my plan?
    You can simply let us know what you need on the personalized plans and we'll make the adjustments for you. You may fill out the necessary details on the "Modify Plan" page of our website. Once we've looked through your data, we'll get in touch with you by email.
  • What does my plan include?
    - Cover Sheet - Notes - Foundation Plan - Floor Plan - Roof Plan - Elevations - Sections - Details - BCIN Stamp & Schedule 1 Designer Information (Buy Separately) - Engineered Stamp (Buy Separately) please review our Sample Pool House Plan or Sample Garage Plan page to review a sample of what you will receive.
  • What does not my plan include?
    - Site Plan - Electrical Plan - Plumbing Plan - Mechanical plan - Interior Plan - Septic Design - Truss Design - Energy Calculations - Coordination W/ other agencies - Apply For a Permit (Not an inclusive list -please review our Sample Pool House Plan or Garage Sample Plan page to review a sample of what you will receive. )
  • Can I buy files for AutoCAD or Revit from your website?
    Both AutoCAD and Revit are available as digital file options on our website.
  • Can I buy paper plans from your website?
    Although we don't supply printed copies, we do send you a PDF that you may use to print yourself at a nearby print shop. For permits, the majority of localities accept this electronic copy.
  • What is your policy for exchanging or returning items?
    You may submit a request through our Modify Plan page for changes to a product you have already purchased (within the last 60 days) and receive a quote for the changes. We always suggest that you ask us any questions you may have before making a purchase and talk with a contractor to estimate the budget for your project using the free 3D Rendering & floor plan we give on our website. This will ensure that you make an educated decision. Please be advised that due to the nature of our online products, we are unable to accept returns or exchanges.
  • What about the privacy and security of my credit card data?
    Your credit card data is secure with us, and that much is guaranteed. To prevent unauthorized access to your personal and financial information, we take great care of protecting it and use encryption along with additional safety precautions. We respect your right to privacy and won't share your information with outside parties unless doing so is required by law or with your consent.
  • What kind of paperwork is necessary for getting a building permit?
    Most cities offer complete web pages of information on their website. You may also ask for a list of required documents by emailing the building department.
  • How can I begin the planning process for my Detached Accessory Building?
    Understanding your needs and goals for the area is the first phase of designing your Detached Accessory Building. Consider the building's intended purpose, the amenities you'll want, and any particular design or aesthetic preferences you may have. The planning department must be consulted as soon as possible to find out the maximum permitted size, heights, and setbacks for your detached auxiliary building to maximize cost-effectiveness. Visit our blog to learn more about the best ways to cut costs while building your dream project.
  • Can I make changes to the design after construction has started?
    Depending on the stage of construction, it may be possible to make changes to the design of your detached accessory building. However, changes may require additional time and expense, so it is best to finalize the design before Applying for Permit.
  • What is the difference between a detached accessory building and a traditional home addition?
    A typical house addition is physically connected to the existing structure, but a Detached Accessory Building is a detached building that is an accessory used to the main building.
  • Can I see examples of completed detached accessory building projects?
    Yes, you may go through our Pool House Sample Plan or Garage Sample Plan page. You might be able to select the design and features that best meet your needs if you have a better understanding of your alternatives.
  • Do my Plans meet Building Code Regulations?
    All of our plans meet the requirements of the Ontario Building Code 2012 (OBC). Even if you're not from Ontario, you may still purchase a plan from our website and hire a local designer to modify it so that it complies with your region's building laws.
  • What happens if designs don't comply with zoning By-Law specifications?
    Depending on the changes required we may be able to modify the design to comply with the Municipal requirements. It is always best to research the requirements before purchasing to save costs and time.
  • Do I have to get a site plan when I apply for a building permit?
    If you require a site plan, hire a local designer to complete this work for you.
  • Do I have to get a conservation/heritage or other permit?
    Properties can be affected by other agencies outside of the building departments. They may include but are not limited to; Conservation Authority, Heritage, Planning, and MTO. It is best to reach out to the Municipality to understand what permits and approvals your project will require.
  • What are easements, how can I check exactly if I have any, and how do I get rid of them?
    Easements are areas on your property that are not allowed to be built on as they can provide access for other agencies. An example would be a Hydro easement. Sometimes these are created during construction in subdivision homes for the builder's access and can be removed. Other times they are required today and cannot be removed. Contact the municipality to see if there is an easement on your property (as you cannot build on them) and what can be done.
  • What does the BCIN Stamp do and why is it required?
    A qualified BCIN holder can prepare the building permit drawings and specifications for the municipality for designs under Part 9 of the Ontario Building Code 2012 (OBC). On our website, we provide drawings with the BCIN stamp.
  • What is the structure stamp? Do I need it when purchasing plans?
    A set of building plans that have been reviewed and approved by a professional engineer (P.Eng.) license is known as professional engineer sealed plans (Structure Stamp). We suggest you confirm with the city if they are required. If your city requires it, we offer drawings with the Engineer Stamp on our website.
  • Is Truss Design with a stamp necessary when buying plans?
    It is necessary to have a truss design with a stamp if you decide to use factory-made truss roofs rather than stick-framing roofs. It also means that a design for your truss roof will be provided by the truss company that produces it, which a professional engineer will then study and approve. The town will ask for the stamped truss drawing when you apply for a construction permit.
  • Do I need to hire a Septic Designer or show the existing septic locations on my site plan?
    When you have a septic tank in your property it is essential to follow the guidelines outlined in the Ontario Building Code/ Local By-Laws. It is important to maintain appropriate spacing between the septic tank and the building, which should be indicated on your site plan. If you plan to add new plumbing fixtures and are uncertain about the septic system's capacity, it's best to seek professional septic team assistance.
  • Am I allowed to have plumbing in my pool house?
    Some municipalities do not allow plumbing in a detached accessory building, confirm before purchasing. If your property relies on a well and septic system a separate permit may be required to support additional plumbing. Confirm with your local municipality.
  • Do I need a permit to build a pavilion in Ontario?
    In Ontario, if your pavilion is under 15 square meters in size, you typically do not need a permit. This exemption generally applies to structures like gazebos, pergolas, and similar outdoor shelters. While permit exemptions often apply to smaller pavilions, it's essential to check with your local municipality for any specific regulations regarding setbacks, zoning requirements, or other location-related restrictions. If your pavilion exceeds 15 square meters in size, you may need to obtain a building permit from your local municipality before construction. It's crucial to consult with the appropriate authorities to ensure compliance with regulations. Even if a pavilion is exempt from permits, it's still essential to comply with building codes, zoning bylaws, and any other relevant regulations. Ensure that your pavilion construction meets safety standards and respects neighboring properties. Source: Ontario's Regulatory Registry
bottom of page